Wednesday, April 8, 2009

NT Scan part 1!

Had our ultrasound and bloodwork today for the first part (of the first part) of the NT Scan. ;-) Started with an ultrasound, then vitals, then meeting with the doctor, and ended with bloodwork!

The ultrasound went well. Was faster than I was hoping (maybe 5-10 minutes max? booo!), but at least we got to see the little one and it's heart beating at 168 bpm! And of course s/he didn't want to cooperate! lol He was upside down on his head. So we had to poke my belly and move the probe around on my belly until we could get a good angle. Finally did and the little one was moving, waving it's hand and it looked like it was sucking it's thumb. Not sure if it was or not, but that's what it looked like!

You can sort of see it here? Head on the right, hand up to it's mouth?



DH said the sweetest thing today when we got home. He said that the minute he saw the hand and he brought it up to his face, he said his heart just melted. He's going to be such a great daddy! There were many a day I never thought we'd get here and I am so thankful every day that so far, we're on our way!

We were told we'd get to hear the heartbeat today, but they didn't even attempt. And we didn't even realize this until we got home, so I'm going to call and see if they'll let us pop in and do that at our next appointment (which is just bloodwork). I hope so!

After the u/s, quick vitals on me were done. Was down 2 pounds - doctor even asked me about that - I was surprised! Because I'm really not that thin to begin with and 2 pounds is nothing. And no, I'm not trying to lose weight - I'm just assuming it's due to the fact that your weight can fluctuate by that much in a day! Oh well. ;-)

Next was the meeting with the doctor which was good. There are 3 doctors at this practice that deliver babies and I'm rotating my way through them, and today's was doctor #3. The first woman one and she was great! Really nice, positive, just cheery (without being cheesy and annoying) and it was great to meet her. I wouldn't mind at all if she was the one who delivered me!

She went through the results of the u/s and said everything looked good. The NT scan itself measured a 1.5 which was great (you want it less than 3). So now we just wait until the results of the bloodwork from today to come back in about a week and we'll get the "odds" of an issue from this visit. And then we do part 2 bloodwork in 3 weeks which wraps up the first part of the NT scan (this is not an amnio/CVT). And if anything comes back suspect from these things, then we'll discuss. But for now, I'm staying positive!

Now - just for a little bit of record keeping in case I lose my note:

  • 4/27 at 3:15 - bloodwork for NT (Dr. Co...)
  • 5/18 at 3:30 (BIG ULTRASOUND!) and 4:00 (Dr. N)

OK, guess that's it for today - a good day! Now, off to bed to snuggle with the husband. I hope everyone is doing well!

2 comments:

shawnandlarissa said...

awesome!

shawna said...

I am glad that everything is going so well. Did they have the slightest guess on the sex of the baby?