Monday, September 29, 2008

How much do you weigh now?

Yup - that's what my great aunt asked me this weekend. I had a great weekend with my mom and family and then we went up to visit my grandmother before we left to go home and my great aunt was there. Dad always drops her off after morning church, before she goes back for evening church. She is the type of woman who is quite intelligent and witty for her age (85), but just has no sense of appropriateness or couth sometimes.

Now yes - I will admit to putting on some weight since the wedding (thanks to both my lack of exercising and eating crappy, and some to my IVF meds). But not much as my outfit on Sunday made me look. I was wearing bigger, baggy clothes that were sooo not flattering - but were comfortable for the ride home. We had a good visit, and then as I was leaving, she comes right out, in front of EVERYONE, and asks me that question.

Let's just say I was STUNNED. I was at a loss of words. If I had been quicker to think I would have told her off (this is not the first time she makes rude comments to me or someone else). But instead, I just stood there, like a deer in headlights, stumbling over my words. This is the same woman who sat in a corner at my wedding reading the bible and pulled me aside - more than once - and scolded me during our reception for having alcohol and dancing - saying I was going to hell. Gotta love it, right?

No comments: