Saturday, June 28, 2008

Egg Retrieval

Well - today was a day full of nervousness, excitement, waiting, and laughs.

It takes about two hours to get to Syracuse (since we're on grant, have to go to the "Mother" office rather than our local office which is only 10 minutes away) so we got up around 7:15 and left around 8:40 for our 11:15 appointment. I'd rather be early than late! Ride was pretty uneventful although it sucked seeing Tom eat when I couldn't - I was starving!





We get there around 10:40, go in, fill out paperwork and wait. And wait some more. And wait some more. Apparently they had a lot of IVF's that morning so we didn't get to go in until 12:20 - yikes!

While we were waiting, Tom goes out to grab an another apple to eat and he notices we have a flat tired. Oops! That sucks. So the whole time we're waiting I have to try and get his mind off wanting to go and get it fixed, because who knows when they'll call us in! Knowing our luck, they would have called us while he was gone - that wouldn't have been cool!

They call our name and take us back. They take Tom to the room for him to get dressed in his nice little outfit and me to the bathroom to change into mine. Very cute, if I have to say so myself! haha


They get me all hooked up and started giving us the low down of what pills they're giving me for after and what's going to happen to the procedure. Thanks to the girls on the nest (especially Shawna!) not much of it was a surprise. The doctor comes in, introduces himself and then heads out to go get ready. Anesthesiologist then comes in and starts explaining what he'll be doing.

I ask one of the nurses to take a picture, and they were all for it, thankfully - love it! They even start joking about all the fun pictures they can take while I'm under lol

Anesthesiologist administers his magic potion, I can start to feel it, and not too long later I'm out - such a nice little nap! DH takes quite a few pictures while I'm under - they said they had never had anyone take pictures before and they were loving it - suggesting pictures he could take, even getting him to take a picture of the ultrasound screen.







When I woke up, I guess I just started asking lots of questions - and apparently repeatedly since I wasn't quite awake enough and didn't remember what I asked - whoops! But they were good, though, and answered all of my questions - every time. Overall, I guess the whole procedure took 5 minutes and I was out another 5 before I woke up. It's such a fast process.

Once we were done, they had me get dressed while DH went out to call AAA for the flat tire. And while we were waiting for them to show up, the nurses were so awesome. They know I hadn't eating since the night before and here it was almost 2:00 - so they took us both into their kitchen and fed us. How awesome is that! They had sandwiches, wraps, salad, brownies, etc... We ended up having a chicken salad wrap, soda, and a brownie (or maybe it was a couple brownies - they were goooood!). Gotta love drug reps for bringing the free food. But even more for the nursing staff to be so incredibly nice and letting us join them for lunch!

AAA finally arrived and couldn't fix the tire, but did put on the spare and directed us to a tire place to see if they could do anything, or get a new one. DH comes in to get me and we set off for the tire place. And here is where DH turned into a typical male - the directions the AAA guy gave us were wrong - and instead of stopping by and asking one of the many auto-type places to ask for directions, he just keeps driving. And driving. So what could have been 10-15 mins had he been willing to stop and ask for directions took over 45 minutes. So frustrating! But, in the end, we found it, they miraculously patched the tire, and we were on our way home - yay!




As far as the recovery goes, I wasn't honestly in a lot of pain. I was a bit drowsy and had some period-like cramps and could take Tylenol if I wanted (nothing else, though - I guess the others thin out your lining?), but they honestly weren't bad enough to take anything.

Got home, we ate dinner, went for ice cream (yum!) and just hung out for the rest of the night. I ended up passing out on the bed without realizing it, but did wake up in the middle of the night to take my billion pills and a picture of my very bloated belly.


Before:



After (so bloated!)


Now let's just hope this bloated belly sticks around and becomes a pregnant belly, right? Can't wait for the fertilization report - hopefully it's good!

No comments: