Monday, February 23, 2009

We told my Parents!

We were going to wait, but since we saw the heartbeat and they were going to be in town, we did it. Yay!

They came into town today because they were flying out for their next volunteer trip - they're off to South Africa! I don't envy the long flight, but I do envy them getting to go! They always save up so they can go on these trips and I think it's awesome! I believe this year they are building a playground - can't wait to see the pics and more pics of the animals they see again this year!

So, I took the day off and we took advantage of them coming down to tell them! I didn't know how to do it, so I piggy-backed off the Valentine's Day theme from last weekend. I know it's a week late, but hey - it's ok - we just played it off that we waited to give them their Valentine since they were coming in person.

So, here's what we did. I went last weekend after V-Day was over and bought a box of chocolates. I then took out the insides and instead filled it with baby stuff and taped the our last ultrasound to the bottom of the cover.

My mom opened it and it didn't take her long to figure it out. A big old smile spread across her face and she said "Does this mean what I think it means?!". It was awesome and I started to tear up. She knows we've been doing IVF and she was sooooo excited for us! She had assumed that since I didn't tell her the outcome of this last cycle, that it didn't work. So this was a great surprise for her!

Here are a couple pictures:

Here's the side with the baby stuff:




Here's the top with the ultrasound:




And the two together:




And finally, when it was all packaged up!

My dad didn't know what we were going through, just that we were having "trouble" as my mom put it. He is pretty religious and conservative in his views so I originally wasn't going to tell him how it happened. But he made a funny comment ("What, no twins?! geez..." LOL) so I took that opportunity to tell him that we tried! And then showed him the picture of the two embies from our ET and explained it.
Surprising, he was very accepting of it and just kept asking a ton of questions to learn more about it - yay Dad!
Tom could only stop in for a bit on a break so after he left it was pretty much time to head to the airport. We grabbed some lunch and off we went. They'll be gone for a couple weeks and I pick them up on March 11th!

2 comments:

Joy@WDDCH said...

Oh how wonderful and what a neat way to let them know!!!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Hey, I'm from South Africa and wow, you're so creative. That is a great way to tell your folks.

Congrats on your pregnancy!