Thursday, July 31, 2008

Spot On

TMI warning ahead. So yesterday was CD18. I am still on BCP for the cyst from last cycle. When I went to the bathroom last night I didn't have just spotting, I had full on red flow. Weird! I have had minor spotting since then which is good that it hasn't been a full on period, but how weird is that? It's not like I'm ovulating or am getting my period or anything since I'm on the BCP but yet there was definite red. Oh well, at least it's gone, I guess.

And today we took Riley to the vet. Again. But this time it was another vet. I just wanted a second opinion. Plus, I felt weird about bringing him back to the same vet - afraid it would feel like I was questioning their expertise, you know? But like I've posted before, it's not like Riley doesn't WANT to eat, but when you watch him, it's almost like he CAN'T eat.

So one of the girls on the TTC6+ nest board is a vet and we emailed back and forth last night - she was so helpful! I brought the info she gave me to the vet today aned a lot of what she discussed, they talked about. The new vet did a thorough exam of his mouth, jaw, tongue, etc... and said she can't find anything, physically, that seems to be causing him pain or difficulty to eat (same as the other vet, the xrays, etc...). So what she's thinking is that since he took the brunt of the car accident to his face, he may have some nerve damage (perhaps where the gum pulled away from the bone?). And apparently nerve damage can take a LONG time to heal and impede with eating, coordination, pain, etc...

So she gave us enough syringes of pain medication to last through the weekend and we're to call her on Monday to see if they worked or not. If the pain medication is helping with the possible nerve damage enough for him to be able to eat. She also gave us a couple of bigger syringes that we can use to put food into to continue to force feed him with. If that doesn't work we will move on - perhaps another appetite med or to an MRI, CT or other treatment to check for nerve damage. But, she did agree with us doing the force/manual feeding if he doesn't. Because, as the lovely Nestie mentioned, not eating can cause problems of it's own, including fat build up in the liver (or was it kidneys?) - fat build up that is used to sustain himself since he's not taking in food.

So, I guess that's it for now. Pain killer syringes twice a day, force feeding, and lots of love! Oh - and I'm taking tomorrow off from work - yay! I think we are going to go for a hike and then a picnic in the afternoon and then go to the Drive-In and see the Dark Knight and Stepbrothers that night. Can't wait!

Have a great day everyone!

3 comments:

Nikki Godbee said...

Poor little guy. I really hope you can get him to start eating. Nerve damage sounds like a logical explaination. Poor thing. It breaks my heart that hes hungry and physically cant eat. Keep us updated!

True Companions Plus One? said...

Thanks, Nikki - I appreciate you caring about my kitty!

Amy C said...

I'm glad you got some more answers...I hope he is feeling better!