Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why won't you eat?!

Right now, I really wish I could just switch places with my cat so I can get into that little head of his to figure what is going on. He has lost about 6 pounds since he got hit by the car two months ago - it's scary. That's what a human should lose in that time period, not a little cat. At the beginning, he was eating just fine. And then one day, BAM. He can't hold anything down. We FINALLY get that under control, but now that he's not throwing up, he's not eating. he'll eat sometimes on his own, but it's rare. It looks like he wants to, but he just doesn't. He'll walk into the kitchen where all of his food is and look at it, like he wants to, but then just walks away. I have even put random stashes of food around the house hoping it'll remind him that he wants to eat.

Sometimes if I give him something in my hand cat food, turkey, whatever, he'll eat it, but not for very long. I have even tried the baby food that the vet recommended and doesn't really want that, either.

When he does eat, a lot of it seems to not even stay in his mouth. Like he can't eat anymore. I just don't understand. I brought him to the vet on Friday and brought some food, and I brought food with us to show the vet how he ate. He ate one piece just fine, and then the other one sort of fell out of his mouth, and then he didn't want anymore. Vet didn't seeem too concerned, I don't know.

He is still on the medicine to aid in moving food through his digestive track to stop him from vomiting. And now he's on a human anti-depressant - Mirtazapine. Given in very small doses to cats (1/4 of a pill every 3 days) it actually acts to give them the munchies. Hopefully it works. And if it does work, hopefully it'll make him hungry AND he can actually keep the food in his mouth. It would be terrible if it made him hungry, but he won't be able to keep it in his mouth to actually eat it. Can you imagine?!

But it just seriously worries me and I don't know what else to do. If he keeps losing weight like he is, he is going to die.

3 comments:

Amy C said...

Poor baby :-( Maybe you should try taking him to another vet for a second opinion....I mean he has to eat! If you are trying everything and it's not working then the vet needs to do more tests and find the problem! I have 3 cats and 2 dogs so I know how it feels when you can't help them....I would def. go to another vet. Hang in there and give him lots of love!

True Companions Plus One? said...

Thank you Amy, I appreciate that. I was thinking of doing just that, actually. Hopefully they can find something :-(

Nikki Godbee said...

Oh no. The poor little guy. Definately get a second opinion. Maybe another vet will know how to get him to eat. Was his mouth injured? Maybe he does not have the jaw strength to chew??